OpenGeofiction

User info

Welcome, Guest! Please login or register.

You are here » OpenGeofiction » Individual Projects » Myrcia: Diary

Myrcia: Diary

Posts 1 to 10 of 10

Welcome to the diary for Myrcia.

Myrcia is a wind-swept island located about 60mi off the coast of northern Uletha. Despite its reputation as a cold and, somewhat, isolated place it is increasingly known for its literary and artistic culture and as a popular place to come for a city break. The capital city of Dunwic is home to one of the oldest universities in Uletha, dozens of art galleries and museums, countless coffee shops and beautiful city parks.

Spend the morning in Dunwic walking along the canals and browsing the bookshops in Godricsbúrh and the afternoon exploring the historic streets, theatres and museums around St Congar Kirk. In the evening you can take the tram to the newly developed Strijp-E district and eat some traditional Myrcian food in one of the restaurants located in the converted factories and then take yourself back into the city to hang out at one of the bars on the famous Ránstad Stræt before retiring to your hotel.

16 Jan 17
Shopping in central Dunwic

https://68.media.tumblr.com/c8c54e2c27d16384bb91ccca3af15251/tumblr_ojvpax3uxk1qaf98mo1_540.png
The Citymid Dunwic mall showing the newly mapped shops and concourses

One of the things you notice if you zoom-in on OSM on a city like London is the density of shops. I've always had a fair few shops in Dunwic city centre but I decided to fill in the big Citymid Dunwic mall and the streets in St Benedict with a realistic density of stores. It rather stretched my imagination coming up with dozens of brands but I think they are quite believable.

Are retail prices higher in Myrcia due to the need to import almost everything by sea? Does this create a strong market share for domestic companies who can produce goods in the country?

Sarepava wrote:

Are retail prices higher in Myrcia due to the need to import almost everything by sea? Does this create a strong market share for domestic companies who can produce goods in the country?

That's a very interesting question. Yes, retail prices are higher but given that Myrcia has its own currency and a higher GDP per capita than most of Uletha it's more likely to be felt by tourists than by residents. Domestic companies don't make much of a saving because they still have to import any raw materials (unless the product is made of fish, wood or cabbage).

17 Jan 17
Forshæig and For Ísl

https://68.media.tumblr.com/5ab99876c26c387daf7fbe11e2c8b304/tumblr_ojxmuzhbPh1qaf98mo1_540.png
An overview of these canal-side neighbourhoods
map

Today has all been about getting a feel for what residential neighbourhoods in Myrcia look like. From mapping out the streets I know they'll mostly be quite dense, terrace houses but today was the first time I put buildings into a residential area. It's important for me to have a social and cultural mix in the centre of Dunwic so, even though Forshæig and For Ísl are some of the most sought-after neighbourhoods in Dunwic there is a fair bit of social housing amongst the old merchant's houses.

For Ísl is the 'international district' of Dunwic where diplomats live and where there are a number of embassies and the Ingerish-language International School. Forshæig is a more ordinary residential neighbourhood with good access to amenities and shops. Take a look around and let me know what you think.

Myrcia wrote:

That's a very interesting question. Yes, retail prices are higher but given that Myrcia has its own currency and a higher GDP per capita than most of Uletha it's more likely to be felt by tourists than by residents. Domestic companies don't make much of a saving because they still have to import any raw materials (unless the product is made of fish, wood or cabbage).

I know you said higher GDP per Capita than most of Uletha seems to be made up of advance countries and to have such an advanced economy bigger than most of Uletha tourism would have to contribute to the GDP nearly on the same level as Oil in middle eastern countries or whatever makes up most of your economy.

Portopolis wrote:

I know you said higher GDP per Capita than most of Uletha seems to be made up of advance countries and to have such an advanced economy bigger than most of Uletha tourism would have to contribute to the GDP nearly on the same level as Oil in middle eastern countries or whatever makes up most of your economy.

Myrcia is fortunate to have a confluence of good income streams in the shape of offshore oil and gas, science and technology, and tourism. I'm not saying that Myrcia is exceptionally rich in the way that Middle Eastern countries appear to be. Instead it makes sense for a small country with a strong economy to have a high GDP per capita, Europe's top 3 are Luxembourg, Norway and Iceland.

23 Jan 17
Using Mstr's Auto-table Templates

I've been using auto-table templates on the Wiki for a while now for creating lists of retail locations so I was excited to see that Mstr has created a new and very easy-to-use template which collates map data into wiki pages and gives the option to refresh the data. Template:MER-autoTable adv

I've used it on the Kirkcoleg Myrcia departments section and to create a list of government departments on my user pages. Both are incomplete but looking good.

It'd be interesting to see how other people are using the template.

:cool:

For me, everything basically happens by sea, of course there is also air

You are here » OpenGeofiction » Individual Projects » Myrcia: Diary