OpenGeofiction

User info

Welcome, Guest! Please login or register.


You are here » OpenGeofiction » Individual Projects » Abrilleron


Abrilleron

Posts 1 to 8 of 8

1

Starting my thread.

Abrilleron is an island between Tarephia and Antarephia, which has an area of about 4000 km² and a population around 2 million. The island is its own country, but a small part in the north west is the independent state of Massentia, created after [insert long history here]. The island's capital is Akesia, with a population of around 500,000 people, and other major cities include Borders City, Perters, Thym City and Velvander.

Because the island's interior is relatively hilly, the majority of the population lives along the coast or in the Central Valley, which has one of the country's three high-speed rail lines and the (as of yet unmapped) airport (maybe).

Last edited by _zM (2017-01-18 15:08:20)

2

Today's mapping exercise: Catsam, a town next to a cliff side. Not finished yet, but I will continue with it tomorrow.

3

Quick update for Catsam: added some forests around it (with uniform recangle-shaped forms) and it turned out good. Having such rectangles kinda allows you to "paint" landuse.

Link

4

_zM wrote:

Quick update for Catsam: added some forests around it (with uniform recangle-shaped forms) and it turned out good. Having such rectangles kinda allows you to "paint" landuse.

Link


I don't think this is a very good method of creating landcover, it will take much longer to join up all these rectangles than it would have done to create big polygons in the first place.

This doesn't look right.

5

I like _zM's "painting" methode. In Ardisphere it has been used in large scale but not with rectangles... I think in Ardisphere it has been used a model of shapes wich can fit with repetitions of the same model.
For this kind of large land coverage, this methode is very interesting. Not only because you can "paint" the landuse, but you can also remove some of the forms to create small villages or dams in the midle of them.

But I also agree with Myrcia. The shape should be as aligned as possible.

6

I'll check again to see if it is possible to align them better. The current situation is not satisfactory. There is probably some JOSM tool or plugin that allows you to arrange polygons in a grid, and if not I'll attempt to do it some other way.

7

yuriyhlmacof wrote:

I like _zM's "painting" methode. In Ardisphere it has been used in large scale but not with rectangles... I think in Ardisphere it has been used a model of shapes wich can fit with repetitions of the same model.
For this kind of large land coverage, this methode is very interesting. Not only because you can "paint" the landuse, but you can also remove some of the forms to create small villages or dams in the midle of them.

But I also agree with Myrcia. The shape should be as aligned as possible.

_zM wrote:

I'll check again to see if it is possible to align them better. The current situation is not satisfactory. There is probably some JOSM tool or plugin that allows you to arrange polygons in a grid, and if not I'll attempt to do it some other way.


I think it's interesting for sure but I just don't think the result is very good if you're striving for maximum realism in your nation. It's certainly not a method I would use to map in OSM so that's why I wouldn't use it in OGF.

8

I just checked and CommandLine allows you to do exactly what I wanted. Its Grid command allows you create squares of any size that cover a given area. I've started to use this on Doyes Island here, and it seems to work better, especially because there are no more uncovered lines anymore. The squares have a side length of 200m, which seems to be small enough to be detailed, but large enough (or maybe even a bit too small) for covering an area quickly.


You are here » OpenGeofiction » Individual Projects » Abrilleron